Tips & Advice

Q: A pipe has burst pipe and water is flooding the area. What can I do before my KD Plumbing plumber gets here?

Take a deep breath. Firstly, when a burst/leaking pipe has occurred you need to turn the water off at the water main valve located just inside the property boundary which will look like a rectangle plastic or wooden toby box with either a blue or black lid. Some apartment blocks will, this in a cupboard near the hot water cylinder. By turning this valve off clockwise (Righty tighty, lefty loosey), you will stop or hopefully slow the water flow before a specialist can arrive on site.

The toilet may have a tap located near the toilet cistern, or perhaps inside the cistern itself. By turning this off it will stop the toilet from constantly filling up. Sinks and basins occasionally have an isolation valve underneath the sink.